You are free to republish this article both online and in print. We ask that you follow some simple guidelines.
Please do not edit the piece, ensure that you attribute the author, their institute, and mention that the article was originally published on the ShowMax Blog.
Copy this HTML into your CMS. Press ⌘-C to copyClose
Are you a DStv customer? Did you know that you get Showmax for no extra cost if you’re a DStv Premium subscriber, and for only R49 per month if you’re a Compact or Compact Plus subscriber by adding Showmax added to your DStv bill?
Did you know that you can also watch Showmax on the Explora? Here, we answer your most frequently asked questions about Showmax and the DStv Explora: how and why to use them together.
What do I need to get Showmax on my DStv Explora?
- You need to live in South Africa.
- Your Explora needs to be connected to the internet.
- You need an uncapped connection of at least 10Mbps for the best quality picture, with 2Mbps being the absolute minimum speed. (Visit dstv.com/GetConnected and select “Connected DStv Explora” for detailed instructions.)
- You need a DStv subscription as well as a Showmax subscription.
If you are a DStv subscriber without a Showmax subscription, sign up here.
How do I get Showmax on my DStv Explora?
- First, make sure your Explora is connected to the internet. To find out how, visit dstv.com/getconnected and select “DStv Connected Explora” from the slider in the middle of the page.
- To access Showmax on your Explora, push the blue DStv button on your Explora remote control. (For Explora 2 owners, simply press the Showmax button.)
- Scroll to “Watch now” and select “Showmax”.
- Navigate to the content you’d like to watch and push OK when you’ve found the show you’ve been looking for.
- You will be prompted to sign into your Showmax account. If you don’t have an account, sign up at Showmax.com.
- Once you’ve signed in, there will be a 30-second countdown before the show is ready to watch.
For more info, read our comprehensive blog post here.
How do I sign up for Showmax as a DStv subscriber?
Sign up is quick and easy. Simply go to www.showmax.com/dstv and follow the steps.
How do I add Showmax to my DStv bill if I’m already a subscriber?
- Go to www.showmax.com and sign in.
- Go to Manage Account and click on Manage Subscription.
- Select “DStv add to account” as your payment method.
- Enter your South African ID number.
- Confirm your mobile phone number. A one-time pin (OTP) will be SMSed to this number to verify your account.
- Enter the OTP and accept the T&Cs. Your entire family can start watching Showmax on up to 5 devices.
- Get watching!
For more information, read this blog post.
What are the pros and cons of watching Showmax on my Explora?
The major advantage is that you can watch all the series, movies, kids’ shows and documentaries on your big-screen TV without having to connect it to any other device. It streams directly onto your TV screen, so you don’t have to crouch over your laptop on the coffee table or sacrifice surround sound or screen size by watching on your phone or tablet.
However, certain Showmax features are currently not supported on the DStv Explora. These include: add to or view Watchlist, Recently Watched, Continuous Play, Resume Playback and Downloads.
What resolution will I get when I watch Showmax on my DStv Explora?
Stream content in either SD or HD resolution on your Explora. SD content is 576i, (633MB per hour) while HD content is 1080i (2.2GB per hour).
If you’ve got a question that wasn’t answered here, go to www.showmax.com/eng/help/explora.
Don’t have Showmax yet? Not a DStv subscriber?
Republish this post
Republish our articles for free, online or in print, under Creative Commons licence