You are free to republish this article both online and in print. We ask that you follow some simple guidelines.
Please do not edit the piece, ensure that you attribute the author, their institute, and mention that the article was originally published on the Showmax Blog.
Copy this HTML into your CMS. Press ⌘-C to copyClose
Everything Must Fall is an unflinching look at the #FeesMustFall student movement that burst onto the South African political landscape in 2015 as a protest over the cost of education. The story is told by four student leaders at Wits University and their Vice Chancellor, Adam Habib, a left-wing, former anti-apartheid student activist. When Habib’s efforts to contain the protest fail, he brings 1 000 police onto campus, with dire consequences for the young leaders…
Rehad Desai says that #FeesMustFall was “the biggest protest movement in post-apartheid history”.
Why you should watch
1. It’s directed by Rehad Desai, who won the International Emmy Award for Best Documentary for Miners Shot Down, about the Marikana massacre.
2. #feesmustfall was a pivotal moment for South Africa; as we approach our national elections, it’s the perfect time to revisit the questions the movement raised about our priorities as a nation.
3. Vuyani Phambo and Fasiha Hassan, who both feature prominently in the film, are on the parliamentary election lists for The Economic Freedom Fighters and ANC respectively.
4. In May, Everything Must Fall was one of six productions representing South Africa at INPUT in Bangkok, an annual showcase of the best storytelling in the public interest.
- Vaclav Havel Award, One World Human Rights Documentary Film Festival, 2019
- Best Documentary & Best Documentary Director, South African Film and Television Awards, 2019
- Best South African Documentary, Cape Town International Film Market and Festival, 2018
Republish this post
Republish our articles for free, online or in print, under Creative Commons licence