You are free to republish this article both online and in print. We ask that you follow some simple guidelines.
Please do not edit the piece, ensure that you attribute the author, their institute, and mention that the article was originally published on the ShowMax Blog.
Copy this HTML into your CMS. Press ⌘-C to copyClose
Yes, Showmax needs data to work as it’s an internet service. Available on mobile devices, laptops, gaming consoles and streaming devices such as Apple TV, the Telkom Lit box and the DStv Explora, either a Wi-Fi connection or mobile data is needed to stream on Showmax.
For DStv customers with a DStv Explora, Showmax will only work on the Explora if it’s connected to the internet. This means connecting the Explora to your home network, using either an ethernet cable or via Wi-Fi using the DStv Wi-Fi Connector. If your home internet goes down, you won’t be able to continue watching Showmax on the Explora and would need to switch to the Showmax app on your phone or tablet and use mobile data.
Showmax on the DStv Explora allows you to stream content in either SD or HD resolution. Streaming in SD will, of course, use less data than in HD, so if you are concerned about data usage or have a slow line speed, choose SD. SD is 576i (633MB per hour) while HD content is 1080i (2.2GB per hour). When you select Play Now on your Explora, you’ll be asked whether you want to watch in SD or HD. This is a simple way to control data usage when watching on the Explora, but it’s recommended to have an uncapped internet package for the best streaming experience.
Why should I watch Showmax on my Explora?
No more putting your laptop on your coffee table or connecting your computer to your big-screen TV with messy cables. Watching Showmax on your Explora means you stream all the series, movies and kids’ shows your heart desires directly on your TV.
Watching on your Explora does mean, however, that the following features won’t be available: add to or view Watchlist, Recently Watched, Continuous Play, Resume Playback and Downloads. These features are only available on your phone or tablet with the Showmax app.
What do I need to get Showmax on my DStv Explora?
- You need to live in South Africa.
- Your Explora needs to be connected to the internet.
- You need an uncapped connection of at least 10Mbps for the best quality picture, with 2Mbps being the absolute minimum speed. (Visit dstv.com/GetConnected for detailed instructions.)
- You need a DStv subscription as well as a Showmax subscription.
If you are a DStv subscriber without a Showmax subscription, sign up here.
How do I get Showmax on my DStv Explora?
- First, make sure your Explora is connected to the internet. Visit dstv.com/getconnected for more.
- To access Showmax on your Explora, push the blue DStv button on your Explora remote control. (For Explora 2 owners, simply press the Showmax button.)
- Scroll to “Watch now” and select “Showmax”.
- Navigate to the content you’d like to watch and push OK
- You will be prompted to sign into your Showmax account. If you don’t have an account, sign up at Showmax.com.
- Once you’ve signed in, there will be a 30-second countdown before the show is ready to watch.
For more info, read our full blog post here.
What Showmax deals are there for DStv subscribers?
If you have DStv Premium, then you get Showmax for free. And if you’re a DStv Compact or Compact Plus subscriber, Showmax is yours for only R49 per month. All you have to do is add Showmax to your DStv bill. Find out how here.
Republish this post
Republish our articles for free, online or in print, under Creative Commons licence