You are free to republish this article both online and in print. We ask that you follow some simple guidelines.
Please do not edit the piece, ensure that you attribute the author, their institute, and mention that the article was originally published on the Showmax Blog.
Copy this HTML into your CMS. Press ⌘-C to copyClose
Here’s all the info you’ll need to start streaming with Showmax. Trust us – you’ll never look back.
What is a streaming service?
Streaming video-on-demand (SVOD) or internet TV services like Showmax offer you access to a library of series, movies, kids’ shows and documentaries. Showmax has over 35 000 shows in the catalogue, and by paying just one fee every month, you get wide-open access to all of them, including series you won’t find anywhere else, such as the first Showmax Original Tali’s Wedding Diary, creepy thriller-drama Siren, Marvel’s Cloak & Dagger express from the US, and all seasons of the sexy rom-com Younger, with the latest episodes fresh from the American broadcast.
So by paying one fee (of R99) per month, you’re able to watch series and movies as often and for as long as you like.
And if you’re a DStv Premium subscriber, you’ll pay nothing extra – Showmax is included in your subscription; while DStv Compact and Compact Plus customers get Showmax for only R49 extra per month. Read more here.
There’s no contract, so you can cancel at any time – you’re not locked in, and pay month to month.
Plus, unlike pirate sites that let you stream the latest series illegally, Showmax is all above board and legal, which means you’re not at risk of malware or subjected to offensive advertising.
And, with streaming, you don’t download anything to your device – you watch online, so you don’t have to worry about having enough storage space on your device for all the episodes and movies you want to watch.
What do I need to start streaming?
- A Showmax account: Sign up here, it’s quick and easy. Even if you don’t have a credit card or don’t want to enter your debit card details online, you can choose to pay by voucher or PayPal.
- The right device: You need a device that can connect to the internet. This includes smartphones, tablets, laptops, gaming consoles and smart TVs. If you want to watch your series on your big TV screen, but it’s a “non-smart” TV, invest in an Apple TV or Chromecast device. These media streaming devices connect your TV to the internet and let you stream Showmax directly on your big screen. Showmax has also launched apps in South Africa for Sony’s PlayStation 4 and the Xbox One, which act as media streaming devices and also allow you to stream Showmax onto your TV screen.
- The Showmax app for your device: Download it in the app store on your device – it’s free and available for iOS and Android. (If you’re using a laptop, simply go to www.showmax.com in your browser.)
- Data: To stream, you will either need access to Wi-Fi or data on your device. Data is expensive, and streaming uses up a lot of it in a short space of time, which is why Showmax gives you a number of ways to control your data spend. Use the bandwidth calculator to estimate the amount of data you’ll need per week and per month, which will make it easier to budget for. Choose the quality setting you stream at wisely – lower quality settings are great for the small screen of your smartphone and will use way less data than streaming at the highest setting, for example.
How do I stream?
- Once you have a Showmax account, and have downloaded the app on your device and loaded up on data bundles, you’re ready to stream.
- Open the Showmax app. (If you’re streaming on a laptop, go to www.showmax.com in your browser.)
- Browse Series, Movies or Kids, by genre, section or languages, or enter the name of the series or movie you want to watch in the search field.
- Click on the show and then hit the blue PLAY NOW button.
- And … it’s show time. Now you’re streaming.
Republish this post
Republish our articles for free, online or in print, under Creative Commons licence