You are free to republish this article both online and in print. We ask that you follow some simple guidelines.
Please do not edit the piece, ensure that you attribute the author, their institute, and mention that the article was originally published on the ShowMax Blog.
Copy this HTML into your CMS. Press ⌘-C to copyClose
Ten years is a lifetime in TV shows. So you know there’s something special about a family who’ve been onscreen for a decade… as themselves! Kim Kardashian and her relatives are celebrating with Season 13 of Keeping Up with the Kardashians (2007-current) having launched on Showmax this week, which means there are now 13 full seasons of shenanigans, drama and OTT kraziness for your next guilty-pleasure binge sesh. Watch now »
Kim, her mom Kris and her sisters have been there, done that and sold the T-shirt, all while doing, well, pretty much nothing. Not that they’d tell you that! “Our chemistry together is just so amazing that people will definitely want to be part of this family,” gushes Kim. Her claim to fame was being Paris Hilton’s personal assistant before she blew up with a leaked sextape. Now she’s a cultural phenomenon.
But – and it’s a Kim-shaped ample but – the Kardashians have turned camera crews following their every move into a full-blown business. In 2015 they were reportedly paid $10 million for Season 11, consisting of only 13 episodes. That’s nearly R1 million per episode.
Reality TV isn’t like normal television, though – there’s only so much “you” that you can put into being yourself, right? Wrong! “We signed on and thought, ‘This will be great!’” says Kris. “But I don’t think any of us thought it would be on television 10 years later!”
So why are the Kardashians still on? They keep reinventing themselves and keeping viewers guessing. You think you know what’s going to happen, but you have no idea! Plus, they’re involved with so many businesses and companies and entrepreneurial programmes that the Kardashians are everywhere you look. And there’s no shortage of drama, either!
Love ’em or loathe ’em, there’s no denying that the Kardashians are Kweens of reality TV. Here’s how they’ve changed since Season 1, and kept cameras and fans coming back season after season.
She was the camera-hogging middle Kardashian sister who wanted to be famous.
Kim is now the camera-hogging middle Kardashian sister who wants to be the most famous.
- The 36-year-old is married to rapper Kanye West and has two adorable kids – daughter North and son Saint.
- But most importantly, she’s the most famous Kardashian sister.
- If they’re referred to as anything but “Kim and the Kardashians”, expect tantrums.
- Kim also likes wearing blonde wigs when Game of Thrones (2011-current) is broadcast (Khaleesi envy, much?) and wearing see-through outfits that leave little to the imagination.
She was the oldest Kardashian sister who ran the company’s DASH boutiques. She was also the most mature of the three, despite dating spoilt-brat man-child Scott Disick, who drove the family up the wall with his bad behaviour.
Kourtney is now enjoying her newfound freedom and her wild inner child after ditching her babydaddy Scott. He’s still around though, because he’s the father of the 38-year-old’s three kids.
She was the wilder of the three Kardashian girls who worked with Kourtney in DASH. Then she got hitched to basketball star Lamar Odom and got her own TV show.
Khloe is now slimmer (she admitted to always struggling with her weight), and paired up with a new boyfriend after she divorced Lamar at the end of last year after he overdosed on drugs and booze.
- She’s loving her role as aunt to five nieces and nephews.
- Oh, and the 33-year-old is still loud.
- And, it seems, she is currently pregnant. And she’s not the only one…
She was the scrawny boyish awkward teen who looked up to her Kardashian sisters.
Kendall is now the most normal of the ladies – but “normal” is a relative term. Kendall is a serious model and has walked the runway for the world’s top fashion houses, as well as walking for lingerie brand Victoria’s Secret. See? Normal, but doing things most people wouldn’t be able to imagine!
- The 21-year-old would rather you forget about that horrible Pepsi ad from 2016 that had her trending on social media for all the wrong reasons.
She was the weird hanger-on and the ugly ducking.
Kylie is now an entirely different person. Literally.
- She’s transformed “overnight” thanks to a nip here and an implant there, and now she looks more like Kim than Kim does.
- Plus the 20-year-old is also a businesswoman whose lip plumper kits have sold over R1 billion globally.
- And there’s the small matter of being pregnant… which Kim is rumoured to be unhappy with because it takes the spotlight off her. (Kim and Kanye are allegedly expecting a child via a surrogate, due around the same time as Kylie’s baby.)
She was the pushy mother to five girls, married to international Olympic sportsman Bruce Jenner and owner of DASH boutiques.
Kris is now a cougar on the prowl after Bruce came out as Caitlyn Jenner.
- The 61-year-old is also a fan of plastic surgery and doesn’t mind showing off her body in barely-there outfits. Mamma mia!
- Some gossip sites reckon that Kris has been planning for three of her daughters to fall pregnant just in time for the KUWTK 10th anniversary. But not even Kris could pull off that level of manipulation and control … could she?
Don’t have Showmax yet?
Start my free trial »
Republish this post
Republish our articles for free, online or in print, under Creative Commons licence